Thursday, December 11, 2008

Experiment

I have been experimenting with baking.  Obviously.  The gingerbread boys seem to have club feet.

I say "experimenting" because there is always a high likelihood that none of my end products will be fit for consumption.  That's why we always have a good rotisserie chicken available as backup.  Ha.  Not sure why there's a chicken in the picture. 
But some of the end products have looked decent this year, which I suppose is a start. Hopefully I'll have things actually tasting decent before Christmas arrives.  Because so far nothing has really stood out as a winner.  The sandwich-looking things above were relatively good...cranberry-oatmeal cookies with cream cheese icing in the middle.  Thank you, Rachael Ray.

In completely unrelated news, I paid $18 (tip and everything) for a haircut today.  I don't want to tell you how much cheaper that is than what I normally pay, but suffice it to say that now we can actually heat our house this winter.

I did something else monumental today.  I killed a spider.  With my father's college fraternity paddle.  Just looking at the link for the spider is making me want to run and scream.  A house spider.  Come on.  I've heard of house music, house parties and house keepers...but never a house spider.  

Heckuva day over here in the Vileation Nation.

Check out Jake talking with Luther.  Luther is obviously really blown away by Jake's sparkling conversation.

11 comments:

Happy said...

The cranberry oatmeal cookies with cream cheese filling recipe will be googled upon leaving this comment. Happy likes the way they look, but when Happy licked the picture, they didn't taste nearly how Happy expected

But I'm sure that's not a reflection of your fine baking skills as much as Happy acting much like a puppy would in the same situation.

Haircuts...just got one myself last night so no heat here for the winter. I hear it won't get too cold....I passed on getting it colored so we'll still have running water and electricity.

So, it's all good.

I'm bummed I have to wait until work to watch your video...my speakers aren't acting right tonight. But I'm sure it's adorable. Much like your new haircut.

Take it easy on those house spiders...maybe it just wanted a cookie.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the baking! I love the sandwich cookie concept!

The video is adorable. I love Jake talking to Luther and that Luther is actively listening with excellent eye contact and an occational head bob/nod. It's adorable when Jake pats Luther as if to say: "you know what I mean, buddy?"

I always love the updates and can't wait to read more!

Sarah said...

I killed a spider last night too and I considered it an amazing feat also. I hate spiders and just because it is FREEZING outside does not mean they are invited in. Thankfully he was just above the door by my garage and not actually up in my condo - that would have been freaky. Those cookies are making me hungry - yum!

And please Amy, heat your house - the hair can wait (well $18 I guess is okay). Heat is very important!

Anonymous said...

Oops. My links must have gotten crossed. I was trying to find Amy's blog and somehow ended up on Martha Stewart's site.

Crafty P said...

ha! susan is too funny!

you are certainly becoming more and more the domestic goddess every time I visit over here.

don't be so hard on yourself, those cookies look FABULOUS!

Kristin said...

Hey. I bet the cookies are awesome and you know...I have never seen your kitchen, It is super cute! Also, the video was really funny. I think JD should come talk to Max and let him know what is up. We miss you guys. Oh, and it sounds like you showed that spider who was boss. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I love how the video ends right before Kevin drops Jake on his head. It's good to leave those things out...in case CYS comes knocking.

Megan said...

the cookies look great, whenever i make gingerbread men, I always leave them out since they are cute, so by the time anyway is allowed to eat them they are stale :)
I am with you on the spider things, I call Bob or spray it with enough raid that it turns white. I may have to be brave someday, there seems to be a enormously high number of spiders in my new yard and basement ewwwwwww

Megan said...

I was about to leave a comment and I did a double take because I thought maybe I already had and forgot? Wow, losing my mind much!
Anyway, please share the recipe for those cranberry cookies. I just made a bunch this past weekend and I think I'm done and I'm going to make homemade granola and give to people as gifts. I just need a change.

Also - spiders. I have been none to cry when I am forced to kill them. Not because I feel bad, but because I am so scared and I am about to have a panic attack.

Haircuts- want one. probably won't be getting one for awhile because my husband needs one way more than me and we can only afford one haircut at a time these days (serious - he goes to a $$ place).

I guess that's it. Oh wait, thanks for your comments on my blog. You always leave such thoughtful...uh...thoughts and I love hearing from you!

stella g. said...

i, too, love the end of the video and imagined a big BONK being edited out.

are you, by any chance, as good with crickets are you are with spiders? we have alot here in el paso. they crunch when i step on them and i hate it. i would love to pass off that chore.

Anonymous said...

Dog, those cookies are phenomenal. Jim refuses to take photographs of me. If he did, however, you would have seen some delicious burnt chocolate chips at our house last weekend. I should put those cookies my coworker made out on a tray and take my picture with them.