Thursday, January 10, 2008

Pie on a Stick

Thanks to my patient and generous husband, I have been granted a vacation in February! Our friends the Raths and the O'Learys once stopped by Key West when they were on a cruise, and when they returned to Pittsburgh, they said four words that I will never forget...

Pie on a stick.

I love Key Lime Pie with everything that I am. Our good friend Christy can make the most amazing, tangy, flavorful pie in the world. She even makes this incredible raspberry sauce to go with it. It is the best there is.

But I've been told of a magical place that takes a generous slice of key lime pie, dips it in chocolate, and then puts it on a stick so you can cruise around town and eat your pie. I must have this experience. Now that you see the prices for shipping them home, perhaps you'll want in on this vacation, too. It's almost cheaper to travel to Key West and buy your pie on a stick there than have it shipped to your home. Check out the pie on a stick place here.

If you have been to Key West, I would love your comments. We have no idea what to expect other than the must-see "Little White House" that belonged to Harry S. Truman. We also learned that Key West is only 90 miles from Cuba and it happens to be where Hwy 1 ends. We don't live far from Hwy 1 here in Maryland, and Kevin's parents live even closer to it up in Langhorne, PA. So because we're relatively geeky about stuff like that, we're excited to see the terminus. Oh, and of course this is the place Hemingway did much of his best work. I cannot wait.
If you do choose to comment about your trip to Key West, please only leave positive comments. Kevin's not totally thrilled with this whole thing yet, so any encouragement is welcome. Discouragement is not. I know that some might call this manipulation, but I call it going on vacation.

11 comments:

Lauren said...

This is so cool - your posts are so fun and educational, I'm in awe! :-) Key West sounds lovely, and I think I'm a fan of anything dipped in chocolate! I hope that you had a very merry christmas, and I promise we'll be stepping up our blogging action in the near future.

Jennifer said...

Well, if pie on a stick is not motivating enough, how cool is it to visit the "90 miles to Cuba" location!?! It will be a fantastic trip. You two will have a wonderful, memorable time! I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to be walking around Key West and eating pie on a stick... P.S. We'd be happy watch Luther! Sam will love him. Sam and Luther have plenty in common: they both make the same funny breathing sounds; they both chase toys and like to have people pay attention to them; and the list is endless!

Jennifer said...

Okay - my friend was in Key West just a few days ago and says that the #1 place to go is "Kevin's Irish Pub" - live music, good food, great times. What better place for the McViles than an Irish Pub?!!!

Megan said...

A vacation in February sounds wonderful - as long as it's somewhere warm I think you're good to go! Matt has family in Palm Beach and I know when visiting they would drive down to the Keys. Unfortunately that was before I knew Matt so I can offer no first hand knowledge. But perhaps I can get some info from the in-laws. But they might just go down there to fish - probably not what you want to do on vacation!

Sarah said...

Amy, YES I have been to Key West and LOVED it myself. In fact I went crazy about the Key Lime Pie too! I bought the lime juice so I could make my own and so now I need that raspberry glaze recipe from you. I didn't get pie on a stick [darn] but I did get these little key lime white chocolate chip cookies that were fantastic. The Hemingway house was really neat and I do remember something irish but I think it was a gift shop. Also I got my picture taken at the end of Hwy 1 and that was fun. One of my favorite things was Kayaking through the salt ponds and mangroves. You must do that. And we found some secret garden with fancy birds that talked. You will have a blast. I think it is a good idea for Kevin to take you away from Redtapeland and get you to some warm weather! I too am going south in February - yeah!

Anonymous said...

Well - this just sounds awesome to ME! JJ and I have wanted to go to Key West for the longest time. The pie on a stick sounds DEE-Lish! - Maybe you could bring us back some! ;)

Crafty P said...

hmmmm, vacation. that word sound vaguely familiar.

pie on a stick? what could be better?? oh yes, dipping said pie in chocolate! sounds heavenly!

My dad used to fish in Key West for things like Swordfish and stuff. I think you should stay on land, though.

Anonymous said...

Being a Florida native, I can attest that the Keys are amazing! Be sure to go snorkeling somewhere! And I have had pie on a stick... TO DIE FOR! Have a blast on your vacation, and don't worry at all about all us little people freezing our hineys off here in the north!

Love ya!

Crafty P said...

Here's a link that made me think of you... maybe some day you can give it a go

Key Lime Pie Martinis!
http://ascloseasyoucanget.blogspot.com/2007/06/key-lime-pie-martini.html

Sarah said...

I can make key lime pie! It takes lots of eggs. I am good with eggs :-) See my latest comment I left for you on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Kevin- have fun with your pie buddy. I'll be on the golf courses in Bradenton and Orlando. The things we do for love!! BTW..congrats Amy!