Monday, October 1, 2007

Home Again, Home Again, Safe at Banana

Only my parents (Amy's parents) will get the title of this blog. And even then, I'm not entirely sure that THEY will get it. For some reason this is what we would say when pulling into the driveway. It's not at all surprising that we would say something like this because we also watched a lot of ALF. The older I get, the more I appreciate how great my childhood was. My parents have done so many things right. In fact, I can't think of one thing they did wrong, except allow me to be a jerk to them for most of my life. That's for another blog, when I ask Susan for help in writing it...she and I both sit around crying about how we wish we were better to our moms. Does anyone else do that? Sit around and regret their horrible behavior? I wonder if this is an activity reserved for people who grew up in Northeast Ohio.

Anyway, the things my parents did right...as Kevin and I try to get our life together and put a plan in place, I realize how seamless my parents made it all look. I grew up in the same house for most of my life and knew the area neighborhoods well. I love "knowing" an area. I love having a connotation in my head when I hear the name of a suburb. In fact, I love that so much that Robyn once made me a photo collage of the exit off of I-90 for Eddy/Bratenahl. Something about that exit just brings me some sort of nostalgia/memory/happy feeling.

My parents also let me drive when I turned 16. Again, this is something that I'm grateful for. I love that they saw this as freedom for themselves as well as for me (at least I think they did, maybe they'll comment on this). I just read an article about that new show Kid Nation and how parents are so hyper-aware of their kids these days. Too hyper-aware. My parents were by no means negligent, but they did let me sit in a carseat in the back of a burning Audi once. That's the sort of thing I love about them.

And I love that my parents have life-long friends. There are some very special families that I grew up with and to me that is just priceless. Again, as Kevin and I try to get our life in order, I'm starting to be accutely aware of the fact that I want to live near friends. So all of you who are already our friends and think you could tolerate living near us, please move. We'll pay your closing costs. We're pretty desperate.

There are myriad other things my parents did right. Like love each other. I remember a childhood friend of mine saying that she was sure that if my parents ever got divorced, it would be a sign that the world was ending. Everyone who knows my parents knows that they love each other. There's evidence of it in my Dad becoming a fan of classical music and gardening/yard work and my Mom attending Indians games and Rod Stewart concerts.

Every year my parents visit a National Park of some sort. They're in MUCH better shape than I am. They are active in their church. They know everyone in our community. They're great cooks (both of them). They finish what they start. And while they don't watch ALF anymore, they do watch Two and a Half Men as well as The Office. Which is fantastic.

So anyway, the original point of the blog was to say that I'm home from Europe and you can check out my pictures here. But it turned into Ode to Keith and Carla...and I'm glad. They should take a minute to be all puffed up about themselves (another inside joke, sorry).

And since we don't get tons of comments yet, I'll try to solicit a few more. Tell us about some crazy childhood quirks that you remember. For instance, my Dad always says "study hard." Even now. I've been out of school for 10 years. And my Mom and I still think sock monkeys are hilarious. So leave your comments! Sharyn, you should start off about "bummin'" on Saturday mornings!

I'm going to nag at Kevin to post something soon about his childhood. He'll have me beat in crazy memories since he had brothers and sisters, too. And his parents are pretty great because they had GOATS as pets for the kids! Stay tuned for some good Vilehood stories!

12 comments:

Krissy said...

Pets:

Your comment about Kevin having a pet goat got me thinking about my childhood pets. I did NOT tell Jay this stuff before we got our first pet together.

In my childhood home, animals did not last long. It started with a puppy whose floating hair made my mother puke. After losing a few pounds, we lost the dog. We then tried a bunny. He was on the porch in a card board box, waiting for his cage to be built and a cat ate him. Our parakeet lasted as long as parakeets do, but sucummed to a double stroke. My kitten got it's head stuck in the garage door, and I found him, little eyes bulging. Our duck was run over as he was sunning himself in the middle of the road. Incidentally noted, my sister dropped his brother when they were ducklings and he too died. My fish froze when my mother turned the heat down when we were away one weekend. Our cat "ran away"/was shot my the neighbor. We also gave away our German shepherd because he was too energetic for us, lost one cat to leukemia, one we gave to the Humane Society because it was wild and would bite us. Oh, my sister also dropped and killed at least one kitten. See why I never told Jay about our pet ownership history BEFORE we got Monty?!

Anonymous said...

Where do I start? With my dad, who, when pulling up behind someone taking a long time at the ATM, would comment, "Lady, (it was always "Lady"), you have to put it in before you can take it out." That was my first lesson in financial responsibility. Also, he would tell my mom every month, "Alice, don't spend any more money. We're broke." Leading me to believe that my family was on the brink of poverty most of my childhood, which I guess is an effective way of implementing a budget.
Fun topic! I love quirky families.

Megan said...

yeah I am sure you are glad to be home! Hopefully we'll get to visit this month. Toby got a new haircut he wants you to see

Crafty P said...

okay. I'll think about your post question, but first...

I was thinking of you Friday night as we watched The Muppet Movie with the kids. Pepe was on and I remember your utter adoration for him when he starred in the Long John Silvers commercials. I was "like uh, you know" and "hmm, well, we shall see" all weekend with a Spanish-like accent in memory of fun times with you and Pepe the shrimp! He is a shrimp right?

I posted today. all for you, Aim, all for you.

Crafty P said...

ps. Hi Keith and Carla!

Sarah said...

Amy, I love your ode to Keith and Carla and I will make sure that I too think about this question and make time to add some childhood stuff. Although if you look at the post about Katie's birthday you will see our crazy tradition about sitting under the table if you talk while eating your birthday cake. And you know I am a very likely bet on living near you and I won't even make you pay closing costs - you just need to find me the husband and I'm there! Shouldn't be a problem - right?

Sarah said...

Amy - who is this Krissy who wrote these comments about her pets. I am nearly wetting my pants and crying as I read it. I think most Dutch people think I am completely ridiculous anyway so it doesn't matter that I am sitting in a glass office with a meeting going on across the hall and I am getting funny looks. Oh well. Okay well she is funny!

Anonymous said...

I know why your dog's name is Luther. Do you want me to post it for the public to see? when do I get my ofice supplies

Lauren said...

'Crafty P', for shame! Pepe is a king prawn!! And Amy, that is AWESOME that you like Pepe so much, and it just gives me another reason to love you. My family is three generations into a Muppet obsession, and my brother's favourite (yikes, what are the brits doing me, I just typed that word with a u!)is Pepe. Mine is Miss Piggy. And that would be a family story in itself - we watch the Muppet Christmas Carol every year, and listen to the soundtrack roughly twice a day through the holiday season. I could hear so much of myself in your post, in your appreciation for your parents, your realising the things in them you want to reflect in your own life, and in missing friends....it's all very familiar.

Sarah said...

Amy, its me again! I finally got a chance to see all the pictures from your trip! It looked so fun. And yes I saw all the teeth in the fish. Hilarious and I certainly can relate as you saw from my dinner last week.

Krissy said...

We want another post!
*pounding fists on desk*

Anonymous said...

Awesome tribute to your parents.... well done, sister!:) Also, don't forgot that home is where you hang your hat, and the two of you are both so wonderful, that you will no doubt be building friendships wherever you live...Remember that God provides where He leads!