Monday, September 8, 2008

The towel rack...as promised

Before the big reveal on how we used a towel rack to "improve" our son's room, please note that Jake is SMILING in this picture. I think it's the real deal. He smiles when we get him out of his crib in the morning, too, which is so sweet of him since most days he has been crying for a good hour before one of his lazy parents actually gets out of bed to help him out.

So here's the towel rack. My vision is that Jake can use this for accessing his books when he's able to, well, access books. We'll see how this vision pays off...you don't see this idea in too many magazines (by that I mean ANY magazines), so I have to believe it's going to backfire in a big, awful way. As though putting a towel rack in a baby's room isn't already considered backfiring.

And here are Kevin, Jake and Luther at the Reisterstown Festival yesterday. We strolled through and enjoyed a lovely day of family time. Now it's back to the grind for Kevin and back to figuring out ways to make Jake keep smiling for me. Note to self...the sling does not bring smiles.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You are brilliant! I love that idea. It looks so cute. And I'm beside myself with excitement that I get to see it in person this weekend and FINALLY met Jake Vile. Cannot wait!

Jennifer said...

I agree with Susan that that book rack is amazing! You are so creative!
I do love to see the smiling Vile family! I can tell that Luther was loving the town festival. What a wonderful weekend!

AngelaPace said...

Oh my word, that is the sweetest smile in the whole wide world... awww!! Love that towel rack... how neat! Lots of love!

Megan said...

The nursery looks great and the towel rack will be a great way for Jake to work on his pullups - you guys are always thinking ahead!

Happy said...

That's not a towel rack.

That's a Martha-esque children's play rack...I'm sure it'll be in Living for Tots edition before you know it! Or Pottery Barn Kids. It's very Pottery Barn.

I know because I drool over the Pottery Barn catalogue all the time.

I know everyone says those slings are a baby's best friend, but Noah never looked real happy in his either. But I enjoyed having him close, almost as if he were back inside the womb all cozy like.

Cute nursery for such a cute baby!

Krissy said...

I love this idea! I may be "borrowing" it for our playroom!

I just hope you used wall anchors! My kids already pulled the doorstop out of the wall! (And that was several months ago. No, we have not replaced it!)

Love all the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Jake looks so content and happy sitting on Daddy. Dog, stop calling it a towel rack. Its a book bar.

Crafty P said...

oh, yes, book bar. very good amanda.

You get the Crafty P sign of approval on that.

I must say a towel rack, er, book bar is a much, much better idea than the nails with stars hot glued to them thingamajig that I used as "book displays" in the nursery.

seriously.

Max enjoyed the sling a good bit, it was the only way to "get things done" for awhile with him. And then he about broke my back b/c he was such a haus, you know. the kid was like 16 lbs by 3 or 4 months. a brick haus.

i am jealous of mrs. c for getting to meet him!